Monday 24 January 2011

Veg and Chili soup

God I love soup! Especially after I saw some program on telly recently that told me that it keeps you fuller than the equivalent solid meal and it was on telly-so you know it's true ; )
So, yes this is my lunch for the week, I love the little bit of chili in my soup, but obviously it works just as well without it. I just love that little bit of excitement in my day!

Veg (and chili) Soup

Ingredients-
1 smallish Butternut squash
5 medium carrots
1 small parsnip(HATE parsnips, but they do add a little something to soup!)
1 small swede (or turnip or whatever you want to call it)
1 onion
2-3 cloves of garlic (I used 5 mmmmh smelly)
2 bird eye chilis
2 veg. stock jelly things
Dried herbs (I used rosemary and sage I think)
Ground coriander seed
Salt and Pepper


Method:

1. Peel and chop all of the veggies (I mean everything above-don't get smart!!) and dissolve the stock in 2 pints of water.



2. Put the squash in a tinfoil parcel with salt, pepper and some herbs,place in an oven at 200°C.



3. Fry the onion and garlic in some olive oil in the pot you are using for the soup (a big one) until they are see through (or brown like I did) then throw in the rest of the veg and keep frying for a bit.

4. Add the stock and a small bit more water (depending on how thick you want it), herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 40 minutes, or until everything is really soft.

5. The squash should also be done now so take it out, make sure it's soft too, then pelt it in the pot and blend everything (I used my lovely hand blender)

6. That's basically it, adjust the salt and pepper and you're done!

There you go-see soup's easy peasy! Ooooh speaking of peas, I love me some frozen peas. So what I did was-at the end I added a few handfuls of frozen peas, and the heat left in the pot cooked them. I think it's lovely, might not be everyone's cup of tea (or soup, or whatever) but I like it!

That's all from me for this post, tune in next time for more boring cooking! Well I've had my fun, and that's all that matters : )  (please tell me someone got that?)

2 comments:

  1. Young vegetables, boiled around in stock, I bet you like that, don't you? And you, only you're thinking of what they'd taste like without the stock. You're sitting there, imagining that, with a huge smile on your face...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're sick Maddie SICK!! My first comment though, yeeeay :)

    ReplyDelete