Tuesday 18 January 2011

Gratin Dauphinoise (Kinda)

So, I had this with my chicken yesterday, but I got lazy and decided to do the post for it today. Now I didn't really want anything too bold with the chicken so strictly speaking this isn't really Gratin Dauphinoise, but my lower fat version one, and to be honest I actually really liked it. I don't usually like low at versions of things, but this one was very nice.

Let's call it:

Low fat Gratin Dauphinoise (about 3-4 people worth, depending on how hungry you are!!)

Ingredients-
2 quite big potatoes
1 onion
3-4 cloves of garlic
300g reduced fat crème fraîche
200 ml skimmed milk
1 chicken or veg stock jelly thing-you know the ones I mean.
flat leaf parsely
plenty freshly grated parmigiano reggiano
salt and pepper
butter for greasing


Method:

1. Preheat an oven to 200°C.

1. Start by rubbing a baking tray (mine is about 15cm by 20cm) with some butter.

2. Put the crème fraîche in a pot on the hob with the stock jelly thing, and the milk. Add the milk bit by bit, as you might not need the full 200ml, I can't really remember how much I put in, it was about that much.

3. Then slice the potatoes (I did it one at a time to stop the slices going brown in the air). The slices should be nice and thin, I did it with a knife, but I'm sure a mandolin would be much quicker and easier!

4. Layer the potatoes in the baking tray making sure to put some salt and pepper, and garlic and onion between each layer. Don't over do it with the salt, I over did it a bit, but I like it salty!

5. Put a little bit of finely chopped parsley on top of the potatoes, then pour over the hot liquid. Make sure that the potato is well covered, if not add some more milk, bearing in mind it will dry out a bit in the hot oven.

6. Grate some parmesan over the top, plenty of it, mmmmmmmmh parmesan! (",)

7. Put it in the oven for about 40 minutes-I didn't cover mine, just make sure it doesn't burn on top, turn the heat up to 240°C and leave for another 10 minutes or so.



That's it-easy as that!
A few notes on this one:
-As mentioned before I put a good bit of salt between each layer and it was very salty, so be careful with that.
-Also there is a lot of garlic in this one, it is very garlic-ey. I LOVE garlic, but not everyone does, so you might want to reduce the amount in this.
-You will get a softer result if you bake it covered at about 170°C for about an hour before the uncovered cooking for 10 minutes at 240°C to crisp it at the end, but I hadn't the time this time, and this timing works well enough, just not as soft.
-Finally the crème fraîche I used was about 15% fat-quite good compared to the usual double cream (about 50% fat or more!!) that this dish usually demands.


Enjoy, and as usual comments/critiques are appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment