Thursday 20 January 2011

Jamaican Jerk Chicken

Once again I can't really claim that this is "authentic" Jerk chicken. For a number of reasons really, the first thing is that obviously I'm not Jamaican, and everything I know about it is what I could glean from the internet in the past couple of days. Also when I went to the supermarket to get the Scotch Bonnet Chilis that are supposed to go in it they had every other type of chili I could think of and even some I never knew existed, but no bloody Scotch Bonnets! So I got Bird Eye chilis for some heat, and some standard red chilis for some bulk!

Having said that it was really nice, I certainly liked it, so whatever it is, it's tasty!

Also I'm pretty sure this would go well with different sorts of meat, I used chicken, because I had it, and I like it in sandwiches, which is what I was cooking this for. Had one today for lunch actually, was gert lush!!

So then....here it goes-

Ed's Jamaican style Jerk Chicken (enough for 3 days worth of sandwiches, or 3 people I suppose)

Ingredients-
3 breasts of chicken (490g in total)
2 bird eye chilis
2 medium sized red chilis
1 medium onion
4 cloves of garlic
about 2-3tbs thyme-I kept going until I was bored of taking the leaves off the stalks to be honest!
3 tbs ground allspice
1 tsp ground coriander seed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp salt
half of a nutmeg seed grated (about 1 tsp)
2 tsp golden syrup
3 tbs dark soft brown sugar
1 tbs olive oil
1 tsp white wine vinegar

Method (not much of a method here ha ha):

1. Preheat the oven to 200°C

2. De-seed the Bird Eye chilis and cut the ends off the other ones

3. Put the chilis, thyme, spices, salt, pepper, vinegar, golden syrup, sugar, oil, garlic and onion (or everything bar the chicken I suppose) into t blender and.........blend-it looks horrible, but it will taste lovely!


4. Slash the chick quite deeply, but not so deep it falls apart, put in a zip-lock bag with the blended mess, then into the fridge for I think it was 3 hours, because I had to go to Italian lessons, and that's how long it took to get home and cook it. No other reason!

5. Fry the chicken (with just the sauce that sticks to it) in a really hot pan until both sides are nice and browned.

6. Put them into a crock pot with the rest of the sauce, then into the oven at 200°C for about an hour, though I would imagine 40 minutes would do it, I kinda forgot, was still nice and tender though.

So there you go, Jerk chicken รก la Ed! (,")




So basically I looked at a lot of recipes online and basically came up with the ingredients that I thought I would like the best together. If anyone is planning on making this one I would encourage you to do the same, because I'm sure what worked for me in this recipe and method won't work for everyone. As far as I can figure-the allspice, thyme and Scotch Bonnet chilis are the essential ingredients, the rest is fluff, tasty fluff though, damn tasty if I do say so myself  ;-) 

Thanks for reading, more to come soon!!


Some more notes on this one- using spring onions instead of normal onions works a little better.
Try not to over do it with the cinnamon. Most importantly taste it before you cook it, and adjust as needed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment