Tuesday 24 December 2013

Black Isle-Black Run-Tomatin Sherry Butt Edition, ABV 8.4%

Proud as I am to say that I have tried two of the three in the Black Run, this is the first I've written about. That means I will be forced to try the other one again, oh such a hardship. I almost feel bad having another bottle of this fine run of beers though, as they are a limited edition. On this bottle it had written 'Bottle Number:796 of 1272'. I feel privileged somehow by that fact.

Appearance-

The labelling of these is quite clever, as it's very simple, and gives the feeling of a small producer, producing a fantastic little beer. The beer is great, and while Black Isle aren't exactly small, as micro-breweries go, they still have the feeling of one much smaller. The beer is very dark as a good stout should be, with that little hint of red when held up to a light. It has a very short lived brown coloured head.

Nose-

There is a good burnt smell from this one from the roasted malts. This goes nicely with the little hint of coffee you can also get.

Taste-

There is an amazing sweet character from it, which I can only assume comes from the sherry butt. This along the the deep coffee and molasses feeling makes it a delight to drink. There is a slight bitter finish to remind you that it is a beer, with hops, which is reassuring. It has a lovely creamy feeling to it. I like this about a good stout, especially an aged one, as with the sweetness it usually has, it makes it feel so much more indulgent.

Conclusion-

A fairly pricey number, at around about £6-7. If you bear in mind though that it's a limited run, it had to be aged and the sheer quality of it, it's definitely worth a punt. It's also organic, which I don't really go in for. I don't dislike organic things, but I don't go out of my way to get them. If you are that kind of person, though, then this might just be the brewery for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment