Sunday 6 February 2011

Roasted Garlic Soup

If you want to get rid of vampires, or an over amorous co-worker (here's looking at you Tim!!) this is the soup for you. Well I guess if, like me, you just LOVE garlic you could make it too. I really love this soup, I found a recipe for it about 5 years ago, and forgot about it until this week, but I will be making it more often now that I remember how much I love it.

This is a very very simple dish, and I would encourage anyone who likes garlic to make it. I froze some of it too, and had it the day after, and it was just as good, if not better. It's also not too high in fat or calories. Some of the recipes I found have double cream, butter and other delicious but very bold things.

So here we go- Roasted Garlic Soup (4 servings-ish)

Ingredients-
4 medium to large bulbs of garlic
a small onion
olive oil
whatever herbs you like dried or fresh (I used dried rosemary and thyme)
3-4 tbs of flour
1L of water, chicken or veg stock (it's a little nicer with the stock)
salt and pepper

Method:

1. Cut the bulbs of garlic in half and leave them for a few minutes.

2. Put about a half cm of olive oil in a small ish baking tray, and place the bulbs cut side down, put into a preheated oven at about 150°C for an hour or so.



3. Fry the onions in a pot big enough to contain the litre of liquid you will be putting in,

4. When they are done squeeze the cloves out of the bulbs, and put them in the pot with the fried onion.



5. Mop up the oil in the baking tray with the flour and put it into the pot too.

6. Mash the mixture with a potato masher until it becomes a smooth paste, with a medium heat still under the pot so the mixture keeps cooking a bit.



7. Put in the stock and herbs and simmer for about 20 minutes. I also blended it after that to mix up the skin that formed, and smooth it out a bit.



8. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.

So there you go garlic soup-with some toasted cheesey bread!



Surprisingly filling too so it is, like seriously, I was stuffed, and that usually takes quite a bit.
More lovely recipes to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment