Friday 11 February 2011

Homemade Spring Rolls

So, I had a Chinese take away the other night, over did it a bit, was amazing, lovely greasy food. It's needed every now and again I think! Anyway I thought everything was nice (as nice as deep fried crap can be) except for the spring rolls, they were soggy, and bland, and too fat, and just awful. Then the next morning I saw AWT making them on the telly, and it looked very easy, and I figured if I made them myself I could put what I want in them, and they would be fresh, and hot, and lovely. Not to mention bloody easy :)

Also, at the start of the week I made chili for my lunch, but I'm still not exactly happy with my chili, but when I am, I will post the recipe!

Ooh, and for dinners I've been having pork chops, which I marinated at the start of the week in various things, I use one of them in the spring rolls!

So less chat more recipe!

Ingredients(makes about 8 spring rolls)-
spring roll sheets (from Chinese food shops)
fish sauce
soy sauce
1 pork chop (marinated or not, I did mine in onion, garlic, oil, chili and paprika)
1 tin of beansprouts
1 carrot
salt and pepper

Method:

1. Cut the pork chop into strips leaving a little fat at the end of each strip, or take it off if you like.

2. Cut the carrot into longish strips too, not too long though, as it will get hard to deal with.

3. Put the above and everything else into a bowl and mix well.

4. Put a small amount of the mixture (up to you how much) at the top of the sheet and roll up the spring roll, keeping it tight the whole time. Make sure to tuck in the sides as you go, from the start, and at the end use a little bit of water and flour to seal it. Look up Daily Cook's Challenge from one day last week I think, to see AWT doing it.



5. Put the rolls gently in some hot oil-I did mine by putting about an inch of oil in my frying pan. Make sure they don't touch each other for about 30 seconds, and try not to touch them for about 30 seconds, or they will burst open, and become very greasy. Also make sure the oil is hot enough so they don't become oily, and not too hot that they burn before the pork is fully cooked.



6. Put them on some kitchen paper and I ate mine with sweet chili sauce mmmmmmh!

The spring roll sheets need to be soaked in water for a few seconds before use, and rolling takes some practice. I had these 2 days in a row, and the first day they all fell apart bar one, and the oil was cold so they were greasy. But even with that one practice day, the second time they were much better, can't wait to make them again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment