Sunday 24 November 2013

A Review for the Common Man

A critic told me after my last post, that I was out of touch with the 'common man' because I bought a £15 beer, so I have decided to review something that he (you know who you are) can relate to. Everyone else, just bare with me, he is a little more 'common' than most.

Every Thursday Betty and I promise ourselves and each other to cook something, even something a little trashy (bacon sandwiches or the like), for dinner/tea. Almost every Thursday recently, however, we have given in and gotten a take-away. What I'm going to review is what got last Thursday- Fish and Chips.

We go to a great little chippy called 'Ossy's Fish Bar' one of a chain in Kent. It's name reminds me of 'Osvaldo's'  in Dublin, you know the one with the great garlic cheese chips, on Clanbrassil street? Yeah that's the one, across from the Mace. Anyway, there are some very friendly eastern European guys working in Ossy's. At least I think they are friendly, with their perpetual smiles, and off-by-heart, off-the-cuff English phrases: "How's the going boss?" and "you like salt-vinegar, yeah?". Somehow, they have started to recognise us (I couldn't begin to guess why) and offer our 'usual'. Betty and I tend to get haddock and chips-this isn't because we prefer it to cod or plaice or whatever else they offer, no, it's because they make it fresh if you ask for it and honestly we can't tell the difference (who can when it's battered and deep fried? No one that's who!).

Let me qualify this-there are two things I expect from my Fish and Chips; that is Fish cooked fresh, and chips that have been sitting there for a while, but not too long. If the chips are too fresh, they are REALLY hot and still a bit hard, too old and they are a bit sickeningly greasy and soft. The chips from there usually are just about right, still hot, crispy on the outside, and like mash inside, and just greasy enough to give a wonderful feeling of naughtiness. The fresh fish has a lovely crunchy batter, and the fish itself is nice and soft. If it's left too long I find the batter gets soggy, and the fish, frankly a bit grim.

Generally we consent to salt and  vinegar, even though we add more of both at home, it just seems polite. I have also thought that when it comes to eating the fish and chips, people can be separated into two groups; those who eat it out of the bag, and those who use a plate and cutlery. We form part of the latter group. I think I like it because it's easier to mop up the salt and vinegar when it's on the plate, instead of soaking into the bag. Frankly I've always been a bit...unsure about the salt and vinegar thing. I tried chips without them once-it's not pretty. It turns out I don't really like chips. I know, it came as a surprise to me too.

We opted for the 'can of coke'  accompaniment with our meal on this occasion-original for Betty, cherry for me. I find that the cherry brings out the sweetness in... Oh who am I kidding, coke goes with chips, 'nuf said. Actually, I don't think anything washes the greasy feeling out of your mouth quite like a carbonated drink with sugar and vegetable extracts. Also when it's out of a can it just tastes better, fact!
Over all I would say that the service was good, the food exactly as I expected and the coke...exceptional, god I love cherry coke. I would also like to add that another reason we get Fish and Chips-say over Chinese, is the look on Skippy-our cat's face when she smells it. She knows she will get some, not from me you understand, I'm way too greedy, but from Betty, who simply can't resist her little face!

Normal service will resume forthwith, I've bought a nice looking bottle of Imperial IPA from Green Flash Brewing Co. for this evening which I will write a post about, as soon as I get the chance.


4 comments:

  1. you make me feel hungry! but Cherry coke!! c'mon you need a good cold viognier surely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coke just seems appropriate, ya know? It's like the cherry on top of the fish and chip cake....no that's not right...

      Delete
  2. hey..... it isn't only me who gives in to our little kitty mister............ she has you wrapped around her little.... paws!!!

    Thank you for your co-operation

    Betty :)

    ReplyDelete